Tuesday 30 November 2010

IE9 Search Results

Before I start I accept what follows is not quite Security but indirectly relevant!

For those testing the IE9 beta i am sure you all immediate noticed the missing Search box in the top right corner.

I (like many) have come to rely on that being their as the fastest & most convenient way of searching and with the mighty Google set as the default and only search provider running it was always very happy with the results.


So - install IE9 & start it up. First thing I notice is it looks very like Chrome and its fast. These are both good things and I am happy. Habitually I load about:blank so I immediately go for the Search box to find its gone!


A quick read and I find Microsoft have introduced the "OneBox". The address bar and the Search box are one again which is what they have been trying to do all along since the "Search from Address Bar" back in IE6.


Nothing new but this time they automatically directly you to the top result (default setting).


Annoying - Yes!


A quick hunt around and I find the option to switch this off so I can actually read the Google search results and I am no longer directed to the site with the most expensive SEO effort!


Although I now have my setup the way I want it if Microsoft leave IE9 this way in the RTM version they will have made the No1 search result a far greater prise than every before.


How many less techno savvy people will not be able to turn this off and therefore be taken to sites they have no desire to see?


Although this is a minor problem and can easily be turned off there are many that will just live with the "out of the box" setup and never change it with the obvious consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment